Facebook to no longer remove claims that Covid-19 was lab made
Facebook will no longer remove claims posted on its platforms that Covid-19 is either man-made or lab manufactured, as US President Joe Biden has called upon intelligence agencies to probe the so-called "lab-leak hypothesis".
 
The social network had earlier banned such claims as part of its Covid-19 misinformation policy.
 
A Facebook spokesperson said on Wednesday that the origin language had been removed from that policy, due to the renewed debate about the virus' origin.
 
"In light of ongoing investigations into the origin of Covid-19 and in consultation with public health experts, we will no longer remove the claim that Covid-19 is man-made from our apps," the spokesperson told Politico.
 
"We're continuing to work with health experts to keep pace with the evolving nature of the pandemic and regularly update our policies as new facts and trends emerge," the spokesperson added.
 
Biden said in a statement that on Covid-19 origin, he has now "asked the Intelligence Community to redouble their efforts to collect and analyze information that could bring us closer to a definitive conclusion, and to report back to me in 90 days".
 
"As part of that report, I have asked for areas of further inquiry that may be required, including specific questions for China. I have also asked that this effort include work by our National Labs and other agencies of our government to augment the Intelligence Community's efforts," the US President added.
 
The intelligence community believes that two scenarios are possible: The virus started spreading when a human contacted an infected animal, or that the spread was the result of a lab accident.
 
The US, Biden said, will also keep working with like-minded partners around the world to press China to participate in a full, transparent, evidence-based international investigation and to provide access to all relevant data and evidence.
 
Disclaimer: Information, facts or opinions expressed in this news article are presented as sourced from IANS and do not reflect views of Moneylife and hence Moneylife is not responsible or liable for the same. As a source and news provider, IANS is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article
Comments
Local Address Proof Not Mandatory for a COVID Patient for Hospital Admission, says Supreme Court
Moneylife Digital Team 03 May 2021
While asking the union government to frame within two weeks a uniform national policy on hospital admissions, the Supreme Court has said that no patient should be denied hospitalisation or essential drugs in any state and union...
Fact Check: Misleading Viral Post Claims Government Insurance Scheme May Be Availed for COVID-19 Deaths
Maya M 28 April 2021
A message is being circulated widely on WhatsApp and other social media with a claim that the benefits under two of the prime minister's (PM's) schemes—the Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha...
Co-WIN under Heavy Load of Covid Vax Registrations; No Vaccine Appointment for above 18 Years
Moneylife Digital Team 28 April 2021
Proving all tech experts right, the Co-WIN a platform used by Central government for registration of COVID-19 vaccine and booking appointments, crashed as soon as it started registrations for those above 18 years. Further, for all...
BigBasket data breach: Hacker leaks records of 20 million users records on the dark web for free
Moneylife Digital Team 26 April 2021
A hacker going by the name ‘Shiny Hunters’ has leaked approximately 20 million BigBasket user records containing detailed personal information (which include email ids, mobile numbers, date of birth and home addresses) and hashed...
Free Helpline
Legal Credit
Feedback