How to change name on Indian passport after marriage or divorce?
Moneylife Digital Team 22 September 2020
A passport is an important document, which is considered as a proof of identity (POI) and proof of address (POA). In many cases, women change their surname after marriage and want to update the same on their passport.  
In case a lady retains her maiden name after marriage, nothing changes in the passport application process and no need to update an existing passport.
However, the instructions booklet of the passport application form on the Passport Seva website says: “This will be applicable to an applicant who has even marginally changed the name or a female who has changed her name or surname after marriage”.
You have to apply for a 'Re-issue' of passport and get the specified change done in the personal particulars to change the name in the passport. You will also have to submit required documents along with the application form to validate your request. 
How to apply for reissue of passport
Here are step-wise processes to change name on passport after marriage. There are two processes; you can follow either of them.
Steps for online form submission
1. First of all, you need to register through the Passport Seva Online Portal by clicking on ‘Register Now’ link on its Home Page
2. You then have to log in on the log in page of the passport seva portal with the registered Login Id
3. You then need to click on ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’ to proceed further
4. You will have to fill the required details in the form and submit.
5. Choose the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ link on the View Saved / Submitted Applications screen to schedule an appointment.  Please note that online payment has been made mandatory for booking appointments at all Passport Seva Kendras/Passport Offices.
6. You need to click the Print Application Receipt link to print the application receipt containing Application Reference Number (ARN)/Appointment Number
7. After making a payment, visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Regional Passport Office (RPO) where appointment has been booked, along with original documents
Steps for e-Form submission
1. You have to download the e-Form through the ‘Download e-Form’ link available on the home page in this process. 
2. You then have to fill the downloaded e-Form and click the Validate and Save button in it. This will generate an XML file, which will be required later for uploading in the system.
3. Follow the same process mentioned above and log in to the Passport Seva Online Portal with the registered Login Id. 
4. Upload the XML file through the Upload e-Form link after logging in successfully. Please note that only XML file is accepted by the system and hence do not upload the PDF form at this stage. 
5. You have to go through the same payment process (as mentioned above) to schedule an appointment in your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Regional Passport Office (RPO) along with the original documents.
6. After making a payment, visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Regional Passport Office (RPO) where appointment has been booked, along with original documents
Documents required for name change on passport in case of marriage:
1. Original marriage certificate with a photocopy is required. You also need to submit a self-attested photocopy of the spouse's passport.
2. Old passport in original with self-attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages, including Emigration Check Required (ECR) /Non-ECR page (previously ECNR) and the page of observation (if any), made by Passport Issuing Authority and validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport
3. Proof of Present Address 
Changing name on passport after divorce: You have to submit a court-certified copy of divorce decree or self-attested copy of divorce certificate to change your name on account of divorce.
2 years ago
The birth certificate and school leaving certificate will be having different name than in new passport.It is there fore desirable to continue with name surname of parent.
2 years ago
Adopting a new surname after marriage creates too many legal hurdles in the future, which could hinder future career prospects and obstacles for foreign travel, better to stick with your original surname.
Replied to mywopy comment 2 years ago
I Suggest Enactment of Law to Remove Surnames. I am Babubhai Vaghela from Ahmedabad. Thanks.
Replied to s5rwav comment 2 years ago
very correct. in tamilnadu only father or mother name is allowed as a surname.
2 years ago
If media reports are to be believed, Wife of Mr Narendra Modi has been denied Passport. I am Babubhai Vaghela from Ahmedabad. Thanks.
Free Helpline
Legal Credit